Data Mesh is a strategic approach to modern data management and a way to strengthen an organization’s digital transformation journey. Since February 2021, the Data Mesh Learning community has served as the center of gravity for conversations about data mesh. It’s the place where 7000+ data leaders and practitioners connect with their peers to seek answers about organizational and engineering best practices, and to research related technologies. People join to ask and answer questions, share insights, and attend the virtual meetups.
Today marks a new chapter for the Data Mesh Learning (DML) community – we announced that several organizations have signed on to sponsor the Data Mesh Learning community in its next phase of growth. Please join us in thanking Nextdata, Starburst, Agile Lab, and Reltio at the Platinum level; Gold sponsor Striim; Silver sponsors Acryl Data, Hasura, and Soda; and Bronze Sponsors Atlan, Collibra, data.world, Monte Carlo, Snowflake, and ThoughtWorks who are our Founding Sponsors. 🙏
What sponsorship means for community members is that we’ll be able to deliver new programs and resources to meet our mission of helping end users on their data mesh journey. Please know that even though vendors are providing support, Data Mesh Learning will continue to be an independent, vendor neutral community. We do not exist to benefit any company in particular. All community members (including sponsors) are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct and Expected Behaviors.
With data from our recent Community Survey and 1:1 conversations with members, we recently launched the following new programs:
- End User Roundtables. Monthly sessions for small groups of end users to connect and talk about their data mesh implementations in a private setting. More than 20 people signed up to participate in the first one being hosted next week. If you’re interested in participating, join the DML Slack to stay informed.
- Data Mesh Days. These are virtual events focused on data mesh for specific industry verticals. The inaugural event is focused on Data Mesh for Life Sciences and is taking place Thursday, May 11. The CFP is open now through April 18, 2023 so please submit a talk and register to attend.
In the true spirit of data mesh, we’ve started to decentralize community activities to give each of you an opportunity to participate and contribute:
- DML Editorial Working Group. This is an open Slack channel at #dmlwg-editorial of community members who help choose topics and presenters for our biweekly meetups, as well as the newsletter.
You’ll also see the following projects launch later this year, among others:
- Data Mesh Report. An independent report administered by a research firm to understand data mesh adoption, benefits, challenges, skills, and other trends. We’ll be developing the report in tandem with our sponsors and community members, and we’re delighted to be partnering with the Eckerson Group who will administer the survey.
- Data Mesh Ecosystem Landscape. While data mesh is not about a specific technology or architecture, tech does support the data mesh journey. People have repeatedly asked us which vendors they can turn to on their data mesh journey, so we’ll be delivering a searchable landscape to help.
- Data Mesh Resources. The website already has a range of data mesh resources to help you on your journey. We’ll be updating the site and adding more – from whitepapers on how to get started to a searchable library of content for people at different stages.
We’re excited for the year ahead and invite you to join us. Our door is always open – let us know what we can do to connect you with the people and resources that will be most useful on your data mesh journey.
All the best,
The DML Team